The maintenance of jewellery is as important as the manufacturing process itself. Pieces that are maintained well last longer than ones tossed around in a drawer or your handbag. Here are a few tips to take care of your prized possessions:
- Organize your jewellery by category. Necklaces, earrings, anklets, bracelets and so on. Each category should also be organized by metal or materials used as different metals tend to react and tarnish jewellery.
- Find a storage space that doesn't scratch or dent the surface of the jewellery.
- A box with separations is great for small pieces like rings, earrings, anklets, bracelets and nose pins.
- Necklaces are great when hung on a peg or stored in a straight long box so that it doesn't snap.
- Always wipe jewellery with a dry tissue or cotton after every use.
- Do not expose it to too much sunlight. Store in a cool dry place, You can throw in small sachets of silica gel to keep it dry.
- Jewellery should be always the last thing on and first thing off. This is to avoid it pulling at the loose threads of your outfit, avoid makeup and perfume expose as well. Do not wear jewellery to bed.
- Do not wear jewellery while doing household chores and avoid water exposure.
- Always keep your necklaces clasped so that they don't get tangled together